Monday, October 25, 2010

El gimnasio

You know the episode in almost every sitcom where the main characters get tricked into joining a gym? This happened to me in real life... haha My friend Chelsea's host mom has a older daughter that works at a gym in Granada. Chelsea was already planning on finding a gym nearby since we don't have our regular access to the ARC (me - U of I) or SERF (Chelsea - UW Madison). Her "host sister" told her to go test out the gym and to bring a friend if she was more comfortable. When Chelsea asked me, I thought to myself, "Hey, free workout." When we arrived they immediately started interrogating us about our ideal body and taking our measurements. Then they started talking numbers and giving us deals if we were to become members. Finally Chelsea interrupted and said we were supposed to test out the machines and they made it clear that was not possible and we had to decide right then and there if we wanted to join. My instincts were telling me to walk but the price was tempting and all I could think about the was incredible amount of bread and potatoes I had been eating since coming to Spain. I signed the papers and handing over my Euros.

Chelsea and I left the gym that day wondering "What the heck just happened?" but it turned out to be a great decision. We go 3 times a week - probably more when we stop traveling as much. We had no idea when we signed up that we would be getting personal trainers too! Whenever we are on the machines there is someone working with us telling us the correct form and yelling "Más, más, venga, venga, vamos, vamos!!" Translated - "More, more, come on, come on, let's go, let's go!" Its quite comical but it makes us work hard. :) We are also making new friends there. Not a whole lot of women (its an all women's gym) our age, but friends nonetheless. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment