Monday, October 4, 2010

La Corrida de Toros

Last weekend was the first time I stayed in Granada. We all knew we are going to be traveling a lot and our weekends here are rare. It worked out perfectly because there also happened to be a bull fight last weekend! Granada is not necessarily known for bullfights but they still host them on occasion. My host father Pedro said we were lucky to be able to see one because fall is not "bull-fighting season." My friends and I bought the cheapest tickets for 12 Euro but the most expensive reached over 120 Euro. Even if I had the money for tickets like those, I think the seats would be a little too close for comfort.


La Plaza de Toros
Chelsea, Molly, Me, Elise and Michelle

A typical "Corrida de Toros" has 6 bulls. Before I went I showed my Señora the flyer and she told me I was going to see some good bullfighters/matadors (toreros). I am still not quite sure what qualifies as a "good" torero - I am just glad no one was impaled by a bull horn. Basically, there are a lot of toreros per bull that place sharp flags in its back but then there is one main torero that gets really close to the bull and performs different maneuvers. The first hit though is always from a guy on a horse. I think its because at this point the bull is strongest and therefore he is at a safe distance. The horse is completely covered in armor but its not always safe. The second of the six bulls we saw actually knocked the man off his horse and the horse fell over completely. Since the horse wears so much armor it took 5 men to lift the horse back up - all the while the bull is running around like crazy! In other countries like Portugal it is illegal to kill the bull after because the bulls horns are cut and therefore the bull cannot kill the torero. However, in Spain the bull is able to harm/kill the torero so at the end of the fight it is legal for the torero to kill the bull. The kill shot is a specific point on the back of the bulls neck. It was extremely strange to see the bull running around one minute and on its back motionless the next. I am glad I went because it is without question a part of the Spanish culture, but I don't think I ever need to go back.

Many, many toreros!
The horseman getting ready for the first shot.
Goodbye toro :(
Everyone in the crowd had white scarves or bañuelos they waved when they were impressed by the bullfighter. This meant that after he killed the bull he was able to cut off its ear and take it home as a reward for his excellent skills. Luckily, the bulls are not killed for no reason at all. The meat is actually eaten after. In fact, my professor took us to a meat/fish market last week and we saw bull meat and a sign that indicated it was the bull from the fight Saturday night. Needless to say, I did not buy anything. :) After the bull fight we stopped at my friend Elise's house and her Señora told us that next time we need to wear more traditional bullfight outfits...

"La ropa más apropriada"
The atmosphere during the fight was really fun and afterwards all the people rushed towards the exits to get a glimpse of the toreros as if they were movies stars or NBA players in the United States.

El torero famoso

No comments:

Post a Comment