Monday, October 25, 2010

La Isla de Mykonos

Our trip to Mykonos from Athens was off to a rough start at 6am. We woke up really early to make sure we were more than on time for 7:30am boat ride. The day before the 5 of us bought our tickets together at a travel agency. The woman who helped up put all the tickets in an envelope and handed them to our friend Niki. We all agreed it was fine to have Niki to keep all the tickets because she had definitely proved to be the most responsible over the course of the trip. She always kept us on time, had a list of things to do and directions to and from the airport and hostels. Unfortunately, somewhere between our hostel and getting out of the cab we lost 7 of our 10 tickets. Niki felt so horrible be we all made sure she knew it definitely was not her responsibility and we all should have kept our own tickets in case of something like this happening. I was really happy though that we all handled the situation so well. The tickets were not cheap but we kept a good attitude and didn't let the mishap ruin our trip. At least the ferry was not full and we were able to buy the tickets over again!

The funny thing is we did not have super high expectations for the weather in Mykonos. We had seen that is was supposed to be rainy all week and it was at the time we arrived. However, miraculously the clouds parted after we checked into our hostel and we were able to get a few hours on the beach that day.

First trip to the beach! :)
Exactly how I imagined the islands!
My two favorite things about Greece were the people and the food. Everyone was so nice and accommodating. The owner of our was the sweetest old lady with the best tips on restaurants and shops. I also tried lamb for the first time in Greece and I can't believe I have been missing out on it my whole life! It was delicious! :)

Niki and I getting ready to go out! :)
Very close to making this purchase :)  
We had another great beach day on Friday and actually explored a bunch of different beaches. Probably the funniest part of the entire trip was our return from Paradise beach. We took a really long way there so we could climb a bunch of rocks and have a great view of the water. However, by the time we wanted to head back we were all so exhausted that we wanted to find a shorter way home. There were a bunch of really short walls we able to climb over - not very easily though. We figured they were all just people's backyards and we would just say we were tourists and didn't know any better if anyone saw us. When we finally started to recognize where we were, we turned the corner and saw a herd of lambs. The shortest path home would require us to cut directly through the heard and over the final wall before the street. There were standing pretty peacefully and so my friend Alex decided he could make it through the gap between a few lambs. As he approached them my friend Niki cautioned him that there were baby lamb and therefore the mother lambs were more likely to attack to protect them. He took this warning to lightly and within seconds the lambs started to charge at Alex, who was really only a few steps ahead of us. As I saw the lambs running towards us, I was suddenly filled with fear. I am not really sure if lambs can hurt you, but I wasn't willing to stick around and find out. I yelled, "What do we do?!" and Marshall instinctively screamed, "Ruuuuunnnnn!!!" We all took of running around the corner (there was one wall that was too high to climb but there was a gap). I don't think I have ever ran so fast in my life and I could hear Alex behind me say, "Don't look back!"We all hopped another wall to be safe and then caught our breath. We had a great laugh and decided there was no turning back now. We returned again to the lamb area but climbed along the wall and only had to hop inside for a second. And that is how I survived the "Attack of the Lambs in Mykonos" as we later told our friends when we returned to Granada.

 We only had a little time on the island the next day before returning to Athens. Niki and I woke up early to go shopping and see the windmills while the boys slept and then visited the same restaurant for the third time during our three days in Mykonos (they really like it). :) Apparently this weekend was all about climbing because Niki and I attempted one more wall in order to get the best pictures in front of the famous windmills.

I barely made it over... and didn't think through an exit plan
Worth it! :)
Goodbye Mykonos!

No comments:

Post a Comment