Sunday, October 3, 2010

Un nuevo corte del pelo

A few weeks ago I decided to get a haircut. I wanted one before I left but I was so busy packing and visiting everyone in Champaign that did not have time. So now, I am in another country where I need to speak another language in order to do anything. Of course I started freaking myself out and getting way to nervous. For some reason I kept imagining going to get my hair cut and saying the wrong thing in Spanish and coming out bald or with a Euro mullet.

Luckily, I have probably one of the coolest professors for my writing class. She is also the assistant program director so she is there to help with any questions we have. I asked her where a good place to go for a hair cut would be. She also taught me all the vocabulary words I needed to know - bangs, layers, angles. She even could tell how nervous I was and called and made my appointment for me! My friend Susan actually came with too for support and make sure I wasn't coming home bald. I was able to describe everything I correctly in Spanish and I stopped at my Senora's work on the way home to show her my new do. :) She called me "guapa" a bunch of times so I could tell she like it. :)

I actually ended up going to back to the same place after that weekend because I didn't like the haircut as much as I did at first. The lady was extremely nice and didn't charge me to fix it. It was a good experience though. For the most part people in Spain are not usually in a hurry so if I just take my time when speaking Spanish and figure out what I am trying to explain, everyone is really patient and great. They often try to finish my sentences though to help me get my idea across. Then I have to listen very carefully because if I just nod along it might not be what I actually mean. But all is well now and I love my new haircut! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment